COLLCAL Bone and Joint contains essential vitamins and minerals which support the formation and maintenance of strong, healthy bones and teeth. High quantities of vitamin D3 ensure maximum absorption of calcium; and trace elements such as copper, zinc and manganese are essential for the formation of normal collagen, cartilage and the lubrication and healthy functioning of joints.
In addition COLLCAL Bone and Joint contains 40 mg of undenatured type II collagen per caplet. Daily wear and tear of the joints leads to the release of pro-inflammatory cytokines and the upregulation of the enzymes collegenase and aggrecanases, by the chondrocytes in the joint. This ultimately results in the breakdown of the joint cartilage and the extracellular matrix. Pain and joint stiffness soon follow. In healthy subjects, chondrocytes release anti-inflammatory cytokines as well as synthesize type II collagen, to help repair the joints. This does not occur naturally in subjects with unhealthy, painful joints. It is hypothesized that undenatured type II collagen helps with the repair part of this cycle in the following ways:
• Active epitopes in UC-II interact with Peyser’s patches (lymphoid tissue) in the small intestine resulting in the release of a second class of collagen-specific, regulatory T-cells that migrate to the joint areas and modulate the ongoing local inflammatory response.
• These collagen-specific regulatory T-cells also slow the production of the inflammatory cytokines.
• Through the action of the collagen-specific T- regulatory cells, the secretion of collagenase enzymes by macrophages is vastly diminished, thus reducing the breakdown of the collagen in the joint.
• As the destructive cycle subsides, the imbalance of cartilage turnover appears to favour normal rebuilding of the cartilage.
COLLCAL HAS A UNIQUE MODE OF ACTION
UC-II the Type-II Collagen found in COLLCAL TM, is a unique form of undenatured (natural) Type – II Collagen¹
UNDENATURED vs DENATURED TYPE II COLLAGEN6
• Undenatured UC-II (type II collagen found in COLLCAL) is the natural, unheated form = ACTIVE supplement
• Denatured OR hydrolyzed type II collagen (type II collagen found in other supplements) is heated = INACTIVE supplement According to Dr David Trentham, Harvard University, “type II collagen must be in its natural, unheated form to be active.6
1. Osteoarthritis is caused by an immune response which causes the body to destroy its own Type II collagen – destroys cartilage.
2. Orally taken, (UC-II), COLLCAL, is able to work with the body’s own immune system to promote joint comfort, as well as healthy joint function and flexibility.
3. This occurs in Peyer’s patches4
Trials Show UC-II is More Than Twice as Effective as Glucosamine and Chondroitin in patients with OSTEOARTHRITIS as measured by key indicators5
- Package Insert
- Calcium & Collagen: The dynamic duo that prevents bone loss; Dr. Mark Rosenberg; accessed 6/12/2017
- The importance of Collagen for bone and joint health; accessed 6/12/2017
- Type II collagen – Scientific review on usage, dosage, side-effects; EXAMINE.com: accessed 6/12/2107
- Bagchi et al: Beneficial effects of oral administration of undenatured Type II collagen: Journal of the American College of Nutrition; abstract number 3 Efficacy of Oral Collagen in Join Pain -Osteoarthritis and Rheumatiod arthritis; Woo T et al; Journal of Arthritis 2017,6:2
- Dr David Trentham, undenatured UC-II versus denatured collagen